3 Ltr V6 Metal Chassis & 2 Ltr V4
In July 1969, still at Greenland Mills Bradford on Avon and due to the ever-increasing cost of building the wooden chassis car, the decision was made to introduce the metal chassis. Constructed from 1 1/2" square section mild steel tube, the metal chassis proved to be cheaper and quicker to produce than the wooden chassis. A fibreglass undertray was designed to fit onto the chassis and the body bonded to the undertray using locating jigs whilst on the chassis. The body/undertray assembly was then attached to the chassis using 52 self-tapping screws.
Visually the exterior changes included the addition of a sill panel and alterations to the rear bumpers. Internally the footwell became slighter wider, the tunnel top was fixed as opposed to removable, and the rake of the seat was increased.
Shortly after the introduction of the Metal chassis, Marcos Cars moved to the purpose-built factory in Westbury, Wiltshire, where 196 cars were produced between 1969 and 1971.
The Ford 2 Litre V4 engined car was introduced to fill the gap between the ever-popular 1600 Marcos and the more powerful 3 Litre. This proved very popular with the younger Marcos owner, as it fell into a lower insurance bracket and was more economical.
The distinguishing features of the 2 Litre were negligible. The only difference being a 165 x 13 tyre as opposed to a 175 x 13 fitted to the 3 Litre, and the single exhaust pipe on the later cars.
The 2 Litre engine, although popular, proved to be too fragile especially on long motorway runs where total failure was not uncommon.
In all 78 cars were produced at Westbury between 1969 and 1971.